Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Elusive Hope

I woke up this morning, discouraged and disheartened. Affirmations, meditation, a cup of strong tea and even a long walk with my girls (all three of them) did little to assuage my worries. I couldn't seem to shake the concerns about my health, my finances, my future and that of my children and grandchildren. The mean-spirited wrangling and division in my country's politics added to the anxiety and sadness that hung over and around me like a dark cloud that would not go away. This is no longer conservative versus liberal, I thought. This seems to be right versus wrong. I thought about the hundreds of postcards I've sent to the White House, Representatives, and Senators, the phone calls I've made to politicians (with both positive and what-are-you-thinking? concerns), and wondered at the futility of it all.
I remembered my parents telling me to find the lessons to be learned in any and every situation and I know that ultimately we'll get through this and persevere. And somehow, we will be changed for the better. I guess I just want that day to get here sooner than later. I'm not known for my patience.
I am known, however, for the rose-colored glasses I wear most of the time. So, I put them back on and determined to focus on the good that is coming out of the storm and find something every day that gives me hope for a better future. I remembered that the Chinese are building towers of plants that are sucking up the toxic smog that plagues that country (approximately twenty-five tons of carbon dioxide annually!) releasing clean air back into the environment. I read that worldwide, solar is now cheaper than fossil fuel. Maybe, if we can prevent the Russians or anyone else from hijacking our elections in the future, we will eventually get someone in office that cares about the planet. I hope I'm still around to help in that endeavor.
Still, there was this nagging feeling of unease that left me thinking my rose-colored glasses needed an upgrade. I thought maybe if I focused on writing, where I get to determine the end of the story I'd feel better. Just as I sat down in front of "Once upon a time..." I remembered my pets were out of food and I would have to venture out to the store before burrowing deep inside my imagination. I reluctantly left my desk, grabbed my wallet and headed for the grocery store.
I saw a parking space close to the front door in the next lane over, so I scooted around and pulled up just in time to see someone else, (who had the right of way) get there ahead of me.
"It's gonna' be one of those days," I thought, as I continued on past "my spot" to find another space.
The driver passed me while I was getting out of my car and smiled. She looked to be about my age, a little overweight, silver hair carefully coiffed around a pleasant face and sparkling brown eyes. She was casually dressed in capri pants, a tee shirt and sandals. I smiled back and went on my way. It was only a parking space for heaven's sake.
I finished my shopping quickly, anxious to get back home to my story, got in line and waited and waited some more. The tall, thin elderly man in front of me was having difficulty with his debit card. He kept putting it into the machine and then pulling it out in frustration when the machine squealed at him. I tried to help, but when we got as far as putting in his PIN the machine rejected his card. The clerk said to him, "Sir, your card is not working because it says that debit is not available at this time." I felt sorry for him as he stood there, eyes focused on the little box of technology that was causing him so much grief. The line behind us was now five deep.
Then the person behind me in line leaned forward and said softly, "How much is it?"
"Seventy-nine forty-six." the clerk said almost apologetically. It was obvious both the clerk and I felt sorry for this stranger, but his bill required a lot more funds than either of us had to spend.
"I'll pay it."
I turned to see who was making the extraordinary offer, expecting maybe a neighbor, friend or relative who knew the elderly gentleman and was coming to his rescue.
Instead, I recognized my parking place bandit and, as I found out later, a complete stranger. She smiled and said, "excuse me" as she moved past me to the machine. She slipped her card into the slot, punched in some numbers and paid for the senior citizen's groceries.
"How will I repay you?" he asked her.
"Don't give it another thought. I'm just glad to be able to help."
He thanked her and then pushed his grocery-filled cart slowly towards the exit. I wondered if he was in shock.
I turned to her and said, "You just changed my entire day. Do you mind if I shake your hand?"
She grinned and stuck out her hand.
"Of course not. I'm Anne."
"Robin." The clerk began ringing up my items. "Do you know that gentleman?"
"No, I don't know him," she said, "but today I have a little extra and I was able to help. Who knows what next month will bring?" She laughed a pleasant, friendly sound and the world suddenly became a much better place.
"I hope I don't embarrass you, but I have to tell you that was a extraordinarily generous thing you just did.  You have touched two lives today. You gave me a gift worth far more than that man's grocery bill. You gave me hope. Thank you."
I had tears in my eyes and so did she.
I paid my bill and the clerk said, "Have a great day!"
"Oh, I will now...thanks to Anne."
She waved her hand at me and I hurried out of the store, anxious to get home and ponder the repercussions of one person's generosity. 
It is not up to politicians to make our lives better or worse. They've been doing that for years and they will continue to wrangle, feud and look out for their own interests.  It's what politicians do.  It's up to us to fan the flames of hope by looking out for each other and putting our values into action.  Nor does it mean I stop worrying about the future.  I will continue to prepare, observe and lift up my country in meditation every day.  We can't stop writing postcards, making phone calls and protesting when we feel it is necessary, but we must not let the confusion, division, and anger of a few, including those in leadership, cause us to lose sight of that which is most important. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for everyone, regardless of race, religion, color, creed, sexual orientation or financial status. We are all human. We are all one. We will endure.
Nor are we alone. Small acts of kindness and compassion performed by good people going about the daily business of living are with us every day and in every corner of our lives.
Together we can make our lives and our nation better – with or without our
politicians.

No comments: